[CMake] Question about set

Craig Scott craig.scott at crascit.com
Mon Feb 18 15:46:38 EST 2019

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 4:16 AM Kyle Edwards via CMake <cmake at cmake.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2019-02-18 at 17:59 +0100, Andreas Naumann wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I would introduce a list with the allowed values and introduce a
> > macro
> > "checked_set", which tests the setting or aborts.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andreas"
> >
> > Am 18.02.19 um 15:06 schrieb Workbench at gmx.at:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > i've looked the web but found no result. I need a string variable
> > > that
> > > allows only certain values, like bool variables only allow
> > > true/false
> > > my string should be either "A" or "B" ...
>
> Is this a cache variable or a regular variable? Cache variables have
> this enum-like support in the form of the STRINGS property. Example:
>
> set(MYSTRING "A" CACHE STRING "Documentation for the variable")
> set_property(CACHE MYSTRING PROPERTY STRINGS "A;B")

Note that this isn't an enforcing feature, only a convenience for CMake GUI
and ccmake. It tells those tools what to show as selectable options for
that cache variable, but you can still set the variable to anything you
like via the cmake -D command line option or in the project itself.

--
Craig Scott
Melbourne, Australia

Get the hand-book for every CMake user: Professional CMake: A Practical
Guide <https://crascit.com/professional-cmake/>