[CMake] Multiple occurrences of a library on linux (ldd)

Thiago Crepaldi dev at thiagocrepaldi.com
Thu Feb 14 10:42:23 EST 2019

Thanks, Thompson, I will look into BUILD_RPATH and possibly INSTALL_RPATH.

I just learned about `export LD_DEBUG=files` to debug linking issues
on linux. It provides more detail on the ldd output, as below:

18843: file=libc10.so [0];  needed by
/home/dev/miniconda3/datareaders_py37/build/stage/datareader/lib/libdatareader.so
[0]
               (no linking information)
18843: file=libdatareader.so [0];  needed by
subprojects/Build/datareaders_core_test/standalone_gtests [0]
18843: file=libdatareader.so [0];  generating link map
                (linking information)
(...)
18843: file=libc10.so [0];  needed by
/home/dev/miniconda3/datareaders_py37/build/subprojects/Source/pytorch_external/torch/lib/libcaffe2.so
[0]
18843: file=libc10.so [0];  generating link map
               (linking information)
18843: file=libcaffe2.so [0];  needed by
subprojects/Build/datareaders_core_test/standalone_gtests [0]
18843: file=libcaffe2.so [0];  generating link map
               (linking information)

Now I can see that the missing libc10.so is needed by
`libdatareader.so`, which was linked against `standalone_gtests`.

However, RUNPATH for both `libdatareader.so` and `standalone_gtests`
seems to be correct and point to the same torch/lib folder that has
libc10.so:
libdatareader.so:
RUNPATH=/home/dev/miniconda3/datareaders_py37/build/stage/boost/lib:/home/dev/miniconda3/datareaders_py37/build/subprojects/Source/pytorch_external/torch/lib:
standalone_gtests:
RUNPATH=/home/dev/miniconda3/datareaders_py37/build/stage/boost/lib:/home/dev/miniconda3/datareaders_py37/build/subprojects/Source/pytorch_external/torch/lib:/home/dev/miniconda3/datareaders_py37/build/stage/datareader/lib

So, libdatareader.so links to libcaffe2.so which links to libc10.so
successfully; standalone_gtests links to libcaffe2.so which links to
libc10.so successully too; however, when standalone_gtests links to
libdatareader.so, there is a transitive linking issue with
libdatareader.so dependency on libc10.so, like the diagram below:

libdatareader.so ---> libcaffe2.so ---> libc10.so (ok)

standalone_gtests 0 ---> libcaffe2.so ---> libc10.so (ok)

              -------------------> libdatareader.so ---> libc10.so (not found)

Thanks again,
Thiago

--