[CMake] Linking to boost on OS X 10.12

Stephens, J. Adam jasteph at sandia.gov
Tue Feb 5 14:20:10 EST 2019

Hello,

The project I work on links to several shared boost libraries. After our organization disallowed use of OS X 10.11 and we upgraded our built/test slave to 10.12, we encountered a problem with our testing. Executables in the build tree that were built as part of our project now fail to run with the error that boost libraries can’t be found.

Superficially, the problem is that (I think) Apple strengthened the SIP between 10.11 and 10.12 to prevent DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH from having any effect – previously the linker was able to locate the boost libs for our build tree executables that way.

The deeper problem is twofold: First, the build tree executables don’t include the boost lib folder in their RPATHs. Second, the install names embedded in boost libs themselves are just the bare filenames with no @rpath. (My understanding is, the boost project does that deliberately because they can’t know what users of their libraries will want.)

Recent versions of CMake (3.8+) have the property BUILD_RPATH that we could use to embed the path to the boost libs into the build tree executables. That doesn’t solve the second part of the problem, though. Without embedding install names that look like @rpath/libboost_foo.dylib in the build tree executables, I think the linker will still be unable to find them.

What is the best (or least bad) way to fix this?

Thanks!

Adam

--
J. Adam Stephens, Ph.D.