[CMake] Plan to deal with remaining D language support issues for PLplot

Alan W. Irwin Alan.W.Irwin1234 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 22:17:39 EDT 2019

On 2019-08-21 13:37-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> I took a look at [another D support project that you recommended to me
> off list](https://github.com/trentforkert/cmake/) that project
> contained the following commit:
>
> Author: Ben Boeckel <mathstuf at gmail.com>
> Date:   Tue Apr 15 00:21:15 2014 -0400
[...]
> [My] planned next step
> is to rebase that commit on the upstream cmake master branch, and test
> that patched upstream result to see if those limited internal CMake
> changes allow fixing (with minor patching of cmake-d files) all
> remaining cmake-d issues for the PLplot use case.

Indeed, all issues in (patched) cmake-d have now been solved by this
commit (now rebased to the cmake upstream cmake master branch which
required some conflict resolution).  The results for this patched
upstream cmake for all of gdc, ldc, and dmd pass our stringent tests
of our D examples (where we compare SVG plot file results for our ~30 D examples
with corresponding results for the equivalent C examples) for our
three major PLplot configurations (shared libraries + dynamic devices,
shared libraries + nondynamic devices, and static libraries +
nondynamic devices).

In order for PLplot users other than me to be able to take advantage
of these additional internal CMake capabilities for some future
release of upstream CMake, I request you pull the attached commit
(which is non-intrusive and rebased from your single commit above for
the trentforkert version) into the appropriate branch of upstream
cmake development.

Please let me know if there are any technical issues with this
pull request because it has been a long time since I
have made such a request to CMake developers.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project

Linux-powered Science