[CMake] Can't Generate Project Files for VS2019

Osman Zakir osmanzakir90 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 28 07:36:14 EDT 2019

I just tried to build Step 1 of the CMake tutorial that comes with the source code (CMake version 3.14.3), once with VS2019 as the generator and then again with VS2017 as the generator.  The latter worked fine but the former didn't.  I got the same error as mentioned in the initial message:

"
cmake -G"Visual Studio 16 2019" -A Win64 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="C:/Program Files/binaryen" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:1 (PROJECT):​
  Failed to run MSBuild command:​
​
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2019/Community/MSBuild/Current/Bin/MSBuild.exe​
​
  to get the value of VCTargetsPath:​
​
    Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 16.0.461+g6ff56ef63c for .NET Framework​
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.​
​
    Build started 4/27/2019 5:48:57 PM.​
    Project "C:\binaryen\build\CMakeFiles\3.14.3\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" on node 1 (default targets).​
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(775,5): error : The OutputPath property is not set for project 'VCTargetsPath.vcxproj'.  Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project.  Configuration='Debug'  Platform='Win64'.  You may be seeing this message because you are trying to build a project without a solution file, and have specified a non-default Configuration or Platform that doesn't exist for this project. [C:\binaryen\build\CMakeFiles\3.14.3\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj]​
    Done Building Project "C:\binaryen\build\CMakeFiles\3.14.3\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.​
​
    Build FAILED.​
​
    "C:\binaryen\build\CMakeFiles\3.14.3\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->​
    (_CheckForInvalidConfigurationAndPlatform target) ->​
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(775,5): error : The OutputPath property is not set for project 'VCTargetsPath.vcxproj'.  Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project.  Configuration='Debug'  Platform='Win64'.  You may be seeing this message because you are trying to build a project without a solution file, and have specified a non-default Configuration or Platform that doesn't exist for this project. [C:\binaryen\build\CMakeFiles\3.14.3\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj]​
​
        0 Warning(s)​
        1 Error(s)​
​
    Time Elapsed 00:00:00.20​
​
​
  Exit code: 1​
​
​
​
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!​
See also "C:/binaryen/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
"

When I try to look at the .vcxproj file mentioned in the error, I see that it can't find VS2019 Build Tools even though I do have them.  I asked on MSDN forums but I don't have a reply there yet.  And I don't know how to fix the issue myself, either.

I would like for someone to please help me out with this.  Is there a way for me to fix this problem?  Like some sort of patch that can be added somewhere?  I installed the binary for CMake 3.14.3 initially and only got the source code to try out the tutorial as a test for CMake; I'm not planning to try and build CMake.