[CMake] Eclipse generator question

Benjamin Shadwick benshadwick at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 18:02:06 EDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 2:50 PM Martin Weber <fifteenknots505 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To implement the 'index only files referenced through the build script'
> view,
> *any* IDE would have to *interpret* the build scripts.
> Just choose an IDE that has a build script interpreter to solve your use
> case.

Qt Creator and Visual Studio Code (with the appropriate plugins installed)
seem to be able to do this. I now use them at home in preference over
Eclipse CDT because of this, but Eclipse CDT is currently the path of least
resistance at work.

> > cmake4eclipse are taking advantage of what modern Eclipse versions can
> do.
>
> Sounds promising. What is it that _modern Eclipse versions can do_?

It looks like you can compose the Eclipse project tree to look any way you
want via use of linked resources. Apparently when doing this in older
versions of Eclipse, it would break its version control integration. This
no longer seems to be the case.

When using the CMake Eclipse project generator via its default settings, I
get a "[Targets]" virtual directory in the Eclipse project that actually
shows the source files under their respective targets, in a structure that
is closer to that defined in the CMake project than what is on the
filesystem. Unfortunately it also generates a bunch of *other* garbage to
make things work in older Eclipse releases that just create a bunch of
noise in new releases that make the project almost unusable for anything
but building.