[CMake] Eclipse generator question

Benjamin Shadwick benshadwick at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 12:04:06 EDT 2019

I've recently converted a complex C++ codebase to CMake. I'm stuck using
2.8.12.2.

The codebase has a source tree, whose leaf directories each build a shared
library or an executable binary. The source lives in src/ while the headers
live in a separate tree under a sibling include/ directory.

Based on advice from the Internet, I am trying to do out-of-source builds,
with the debug flavor in a debug/ sibling directory, and release in release/

This all works from the command line, but I am using Eclipse CDT as my
primary IDE and would like to get decent integration between that and CMake.

When I use CMake's Eclipse generator and then import the project into
Eclipse, there are some serious issues. The primary issue is that when I
hit Ctrl+Shift+R to bring up the Open Resource dialog and then type in the
name of a source file, I get 3 results: one under each of [Source files],
[Subprojects], and [Targets]. This is awful, especially since picking the
wrong one results in weird behavior like inability to resolve include
directives or inability to toggle between source and corresponding header
file.

Is there some way to address this without resulting to in-source builds?
I'm even willing to butcher the project files post-generate using Python if
it would help.

Thanks,
- Ben S.