[CMake] Happy Birthday CMake!

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Sep 10 13:36:56 EDT 2018

On 9/2/2018 6:54 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> And thanks to you for coming up with such a useful tool in the first
> place!
>
> Can you recommend a site that gives a (fairly) short history of CMake
> that at least lists the most fundamental changes made to this software
> since its inception?  For example, I am pretty sure you have stated
> before that it
> did not start out as a C++ project.  If so, when did it switch to C++?
> I did look at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmake>, but the history
> paragraph there includes nothing about the fundamental changes made along
> the way in the development of CMake.
CMake has always been in C++.   The idea was that all that would be
required would be a C++ compiler.  With that, you could build CMake.
Since CMake was designed to build C++ projects, it was assumed that the
user would at least have a C++ compiler.

Should be some history these talks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ut9o4OdSC0&feature=youtube_gdata
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqjtN8NGtl4

I don't think there is anything written.

-Bill