[CMake] Controlling order of includes with INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES for an IMPORTED target

David Jobet djobet at tower-research.com
Fri Oct 12 04:50:52 EDT 2018

> what version of CMake are you using?
I'm using cmake version 3.10.0.

> Which seems at odds with your observations/comments, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
Well, what's for sure is that the above invocation does not compile,
but if at our root CMakeLists.txt we add
include_directories(/apps/homefs1/USER/work/.../libllvm/icc/include)

so that the invocation is now :

g++ ... -I/apps/homefs1/USER/work/. -I. -isystem
/apps/homefs1/USER/work/.../libllvm/icc/include -isystem
/spare/local/USER/conda_root/envs/gcc6cxx14/include ...

it compiles fine.

Actually, what's odd is that the path that's being added by
set_property(TARGET global_llvm_external APPEND PROPERTY
INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/icc/include)

does not materialize with
-I/apps/homefs1/USER/work/.../libllvm/icc/include
but with
-isystem/apps/homefs1/USER/work/.../libllvm/icc/include

So if -isystem are searched last, then if there's a way to tweak
INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES to use -I instead of -isystem that would
also work.

David