[CMake] The Xcode generator and ASM_NASM support

Tom Finegan tomfinegan at google.com
Wed Oct 3 12:08:56 EDT 2018

I'm trying to get rid of some local CMake scripting for building assembly
with nasm and yasm, but I'm running into a problem with the Xcode generator.

For the make and ninja generators, everything is fine-- nasm and yasm are
both working as expected.

The same is not true for Xcode. When building a target that includes
assembly files Xcode outputs the warnings like the following during its
"Check dependencies" step:

warning: no rule to process file <assembly file> of type sourcecode for
architecture x86_64

This is with CMake v3.12.1, but I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with
CMake version. Is there an extra step necessary to get this working with
the Xcode generator? I would like to get rid of the extra cmake scripting
that handles assembly in the project I'm working on. I have tried the
following:

1) Building an object library with the assembly sources.
2) Building a  static library with the assembly sources.
3) Adding the assembly sources to an existing library target.

All attempts produce an Xcode project that outputs the warning noted above,
and then fails to build because of link errors or missing object files
(depending on the method used).

Thanks for any advice,
Tom