[CMake] Detailed graphviz graph?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 03:53:46 EDT 2018

Le mer. 3 oct. 2018 à 09:19, Jan Wielemaker <jan at swi-prolog.org> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Debugging dependencies is not always easy.  The -graphviz option is a
> nice try, but only seems to do the built-in target types.  Is there
> some way to get the whole dependency graph, including custom targets
> and possibly also the individual files?

Not yet I guess:

https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/17960

> Of course this can get huge.
> Possibly there is some way to concentrate on anything relevant to a
> particular target?

Besides the custom target issue. I did craft a python script which loads
the dependency graph spitted out by CMake
and do various thing on it:

- search if there exist a path between two targets
- find all path between two targets
- reduce the graph (transitive closure)
etc...

If you use ninja Generator you may try the browse or graph
extra tool:
https://ninja-build.org/manual.html

This is generator specific and it may be difficult to follow your
"original" CMake target in the generated ninja version.

The problem I'm faced with is this:

>    - I have an ordinary executable target `swipl`
>    - To run, this requires a boot file `swipl.prc` that is created
>      by calling `swipl -b ...`

Hum... I don't get it.
For running? creating? target "swipl" you need to run it?
There is a chicken & eggs problem or I misread what you said?

>    - I'd like to run `swipl` for creating a library index file.
>
> So, these targets need to be built in the order above.  It turns
> out that sometimes step 3 runs before 2 completes.  At least, this
> happens on MacOS using cmake 3.11.2.  So far I haven't seen it on
> Linux (where I use 3.10).  The definition goes like this:
>
> add_custom_command(
>      OUTPUT  swipl.prc
>      COMMAND swipl -O -b ${SWIPL_BOOT_ROOT}/init.pl
>      DEPENDS swipl ${SWIPL_BOOT_FILES}
> )
>
> add_custom_command(
>      OUTPUT  ${PL_LIB_INDEX}
>      COMMAND swipl -f none -g
> "\"make_library_index('${SWIPL_LIBRARY_ROOT}')\"" -t halt
>      DEPENDS swipl.prc ${PL_LIB_FILES_ALL}
> )
>
> add_custom_target(prolog_products ALL
>      DEPENDS swipl.prc ${PL_LIB_INDEX}
> )
>
> The first specifies building swipl.prc, the second the index
> file and the custom target ensures the default build will
> create both files.  I don't see what is wrong and a visual
> dependency graph might reveal this ...

Are those three add_custom_xxx in the same directory?
DEPENDS for custom_xxx do not cross directory.

i.e:
``DEPENDS``
  Reference files and outputs of custom commands created with
  ``add_custom_command()`` command calls in the same directory
  (``CMakeLists.txt`` file).  They will be brought up to date when
  the target is built.

--
Eric