[CMake] integrating cmake configured library with other GNU based build system?

Burlen Loring burlen.loring at gmail.com
Fri May 25 13:16:12 EDT 2018

Hi All,

Can cmake generate .pc files? Can cmake generate .la files (gnu
convenience libraries)? Cmake internally generates all the requisite
info, how can it be accessed?

I have to integrate a cmake based library into a GNUMake build. The
project has a cmake config file
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/sensei/sensei/blob/master/CMake/SENSEIConfig.cmake.in>
which works great with cmake's find_package command when integrating
with another project using cmake. What do we do when a GNUMake based
project wants to import our library?

I hacked a cmake script
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/sensei/sensei/blob/master/tools/sensei_config/CMakeLists.txt>
to recursively walk our libraries dependencies and inspect
INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES and INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES to put
together a unique list of libraries and include dirs, which can be used
to generate the necessary info. Unfortunately so far I can only make it
work as an external cmake project which is configured after we install
our library.

I would like to have a solution that generates the GNU compatible
configuration file (.pc,.la, etc)  integrated into our build rather than
as an additional separate post install step. How have others solved this
issue?

Thanks
Burlen