[CMake] using ExternalProject_Add when cmake is launched

Petr Kmoch petr.kmoch at gmail.com
Wed May 2 04:47:00 EDT 2018

Hi Stephane.

ExternalProject is designed to run at *build* time, not at *CMake* time. It
is not really intended for mixing with normal, non-ExternalProject targets
(such as those created by add_library).

When using ExternalProject, the canonical form of operation is a
SuperBuild-style project: your master CMakeLists.txt will contain only
ExternalProject_Add() calls, *including one for your normal project.* Your
normal project becomes just another project managed by the SuperBuild. The
SuperBuild's purpose is to download, configure, build, etc., all the
subprojects. So you generate the SuperBuild and then build it once to get
all the dependencies in place. The you switch to using just the YourProject
"child" of the SuperBuild and do normal development there.

I think googling "CMake ExternalProject_Add superbuild" will give you
enough details to get you going.

Petr