[CMake] failure to build Cmake to / against non-standard directory under Linux

Ben Sferrazza bsferrazza at avnera.com
Fri Mar 2 13:04:00 EST 2018

 I have a completely insulated boostrapped toolchain+binaries setup
(located under /home/tools), following much of the Linux From Scratch book,
that has been able to build everything that I throw at it. Most things just
work with a simple --prefix option, as I have also edited the GCC specs
file to include my /home/tools/include directory (using -isystem) and link
against my /home/tools/lib directory (also with an rpath set, so that all
binaries I build are complete insulated from the host libraries). The lone
exception to this is Cmake. It appears to have a lot of hardcoded paths in
its build environment to standard /usr/* directories.

I first got wind that something was awry when Cmake 3.10.2 claimed my
compiler, GCC 7.3.0, isn't C++11 compliant. Clearly this isn't the case,
given that it's the latest release. So I then tried building Cmake 3.9.6,
which doesn't require C++11, and it was finding zlib and other libraries
under /usr/lib as opposed to my /home/tools/lib. I don't even have
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, as I use rpath in the specs file like I mentioned. Can
anyone provide any help into how I can get Cmake to build against
non-standard include and library locations?

Thank you,
Ben