[CMake] Intel MPI on Windows under x86_64 MSYS2

Zaak Beekman zbeekman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 11:16:10 EDT 2018

Greetings fellow CMake users, enthusiasts, and developers!

We have a user who is installing OpenCoarrays on Windows using Intel MPI
under MSYS2. They report having to generate an interface library, impi.a
(or impi.lib) by hand using gendef and dlltool for Intel’s impi.dll MPI
library. My questions are as follows:

   1. Can CMake automate the generation of an interface library for an
   existing 3rd party windows .dll without having to call non-standard tools?
   2. Does anyone know if they are just misconfiguring their Intel MPI and
   Intel really ships with an interface library somewhere that is not getting
   picked up by the build system? (If so, do we need anything special beyond
   find_package(MPI) to use the interface library that Intel may or may not
   ship?)

The user also reports having to edit FindMPI.cmake to get it running
properly on MSYS2:

$ diff -Nu FindMPI.cmake.orig FindMPI.cmake--- FindMPI.cmake.orig
2018-05-17 16:29:45.352467900 -0500+++ FindMPI.cmake       2018-05-20
14:58:14.090710500 -0500@@ -337,7 +337,7 @@
     separate_arguments(_MPI_COMPILER_WRAPPER_OPTIONS NATIVE_COMMAND
"${MPI_COMPILER_FLAGS}")
   endif()
   execute_process(-    COMMAND ${MPI_${LANG}_COMPILER}
${_MPI_COMPILER_WRAPPER_OPTIONS} ${QUERY_FLAG}+    COMMAND "bash"
${MPI_${LANG}_COMPILER} ${_MPI_COMPILER_WRAPPER_OPTIONS} ${QUERY_FLAG}
     OUTPUT_VARIABLE  WRAPPER_OUTPUT OUTPUT_STRIP_TRAILING_WHITESPACE
     ERROR_VARIABLE   WRAPPER_OUTPUT ERROR_STRIP_TRAILING_WHITESPACE
     RESULT_VARIABLE  WRAPPER_RETURN)

Is this a bug in FindMPI.cmake or are we doing something wrong in the build
system?

The original thread can be seen at:
https://github.com/sourceryinstitute/OpenCoarrays/issues/541

Many thanks,