[CMake] Development Workflow with CMake and VS2017

R0b0t1 r030t1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 23:00:16 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:43 PM, Innokentiy Alaytsev <alaitsev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I usually just download prebuild binaries if they are available or build the
> required dependency from sources. There are some libraries (and other
> software) that are not Windows-friendly (These products are still considered
> cross-platform and usually are free in the way fanatics from FSF understand
> freedom, i.e. freedom is the thing that should be enforced). In the case
> where it is impossible or hard to build something on Windows with MSVC, I
> try to find some alternative.
>
> The reason for trying to build everything with MSVC is simple -
> unfortunately, it is the official compiler for the platform and some things
> can only be built with it for Windows.
>
> Sticking to Cygwin or MSYS2 may be fine unless you need some things like Qt
> with WebEngine support or, probably, CUDA (I am not sure if it officially
> works with anything else but MSVC).

Very nearly everything *does* work with MinGW save for those things
which are provided via a C++ API and driver development.

I have done this for a while, but it is especially problematic with
things which have many dependencies.

Someone privately suggested vcpkg. I tried it and it seems to work
rather well. Perhaps it is what I will be using for the foreseeable
future. I do not like how it is tied to MSVC and how it is fairly
naive.

I also found build2 but it has been rather hard to use. I am not quite
sure how to set it to compile with a 64 bit MinGW toolchain. I suppose
I will need to follow the manual instructions when I have more time;
they are a bit rough.

The other suggestions are welcome, I will try to get back to the list
with my thoughts in a few days.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1