[CMake] specifying path for license file for commercial compiler?

Alan W. Irwin Alan.W.Irwin1234 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 13:07:48 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-09 12:48-0000 Clune, Thomas L. (GSFC-6101) wrote:

[...]
> Based upon conversations with colleagues in other institutions, the
   most frustrating compiler is always the one you don’t do your
   development with.  Because of my clients, I mostly start with Intel
   and then get frustrated when a design discovers defects in gfortran.
   But others that primarily work with gfortran say the same about
   Intel.  My conclusion as that we subconsciously develop a coding
   style this is (mostly) robust within our native environment.

I agree with your overall conclusion (and many other interesting
points you made which I didn't quote).

> When the situation permits, I mostly develop with the NAG fortran
   compiler.  The generated code is not particularly fast, but the
   compiler is very strict and very robust.

I have no experience with that compiler myself, but a colleague has
taken advantage of its well-known strictness to make sure the Fortran
binding of the PLplot C library (which is implemented using the
iso_c_binding module) is fully compliant with the Fortran 2003
standard with run-time results that pass our Fortran tests (which
demand that our standard set of 33 plot examples written in Fortran
2003 give identical results to the corresponding C examples).  He has
also achieved similar testing success with ifort, and I have done the
same with gfortran.  So with PLplot, those three Fortran compilers
give perfect test results and although we haven't yet had the time to
look at other Fortran compilers presumably most of them will also
produce perfect test results (since most Fortran vendors report they
have correctly implemented all parts of the iso_c_binding module).

Alan
Alan W. Irwin