[CMake] CMake triggers Windows Defender

Steve sfogoros at att.net
Thu Jul 5 21:17:10 EDT 2018

I posted the following on 6/18/18, but failed to set the reply-to to
include the cmake list server.

Thanks for replying.

After I posted to this list I wondered if it was an issue with MinGW. I
hadn't had any issues with MinGW before but compiled a quick 'hello
world' to check. Worked fine, no Windows Defender trigger.

'gcc --version' reported 6.3.0, but I went ahead and ran 'mingw-get
update' and 'mingw-get upgrade' anyway. After upgrade CMake no longer
triggered Windows Defender during the compiler identification phase.

So, false positive caused by older version of MinGW.

I tried to find the actual version of gcc before and after, but 'gcc
--version' reported 6.3.0 for both. I found a web site that listed
MinGW-w64 gcc releases as v5.0.3 2017-11-04 and v5.0.4 2018-06-04. I
last updated MinGW December 2017, so it's likely I was running v5.0.3
and got lucky the latest update was 10 days before I started using CMake.

Thank you again Mr. King,

Steve