[CMake] how to deprecate a target?

Bram de Greve bram at cocamware.com
Sun Jul 1 18:11:13 EDT 2018

That is unfortunate ... do you know any not-so-nice ways?

So, what would you recommend here?

I'm deprecating the old ways to use the Foo package (using Foo_LIBRARIES
and Foo_INCLUDE_DIRS. You know, the cmake 2.x way of things). I can do
that nicely with variable watches.

But what about the target names?  If I want to guarantee a seamless
transition period, I should opt to keep using the "foo" target names.
But then there's no way to "upgrade" to "Foo::foo" targets without
breakage, since there's no deprecation strategy. And I can't use target
aliases, since that is not allowed on imported targets.

To answer my own question, I think the best thing is to move to the
"Foo::foo" targets right now.  There's at least one downstream package
that will be hurt by this, but the damage is less than waiting for
everyone to have moved to the "foo" target first.

Best,

Bram.