[CMake] While running CMake for building ReactOS on AWS EC2, the configure.sh (cmake) kills all SSH connections

Sori Pos soriposforums at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 15:40:24 EST 2018

Hello everyone!

I launched a clean AWS Instance (of type Amazon Linux AMI which is based on
RedHat), and I am trying to build ReactOS by using the normal steps
described in their documentation.

I downloaded their "ReactOS Build Environment" and configured it correctly,
then I did a "git checkout reactos". Then, after running "./RosBE.sh" then
I tried to execute ./configure.sh from within the folder
output-MinGW-i386/reactos

The last lines of their "configure.sh" are these:

echo Preparing reactos...

cd reactos

rm -f CMakeCache.txt host-tools/CMakeCache.txt

cmake -G "$CMAKE_GENERATOR" -DENABLE_CCACHE:BOOL=0
-DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE:FILEPATH=toolchain-gcc.cmake -DARCH:STRING=$ARCH
-DNEW_STYLE_BUILD:BOOL=$USE_NEW_STYLE $EXTRA_ARGS $ROS_CMAKEOPTS
"$REACTOS_SOURCE_DIR"

echo Configure script complete! Enter directories and execute appropriate
build commands \(ex: ninja, make, makex, etc...\).

My console logs display this:

bash-4.2$ ./configure.sh

Creating directories in output-MinGW-i386

Preparing reactos...

-- Check for working C compiler using: Ninja

-- Check for working C compiler using: Ninja -- works

-- Detecting C compiler ABI info

-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done

-- Detecting C compile features

-- Detecting C compile features - done

-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Ninja

-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Ninja -- works

-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info

-- Detecting CXX compile features

-- Detecting CXX compile features - done

-- Found Git: /usr/bin/git (found version "2.14.5")

-- Build Type: Debug

-- The ASM compiler identification is GNU

-- Found assembler: /work/rosbe2.1.2/i386/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-gcc

-- Selected localization: all

-- fusion has no base address

-- fusion_1_1 has no base address

-- fusion_2_0 has no base address

-- xolehlp has no base address

-- Configuring done

Connection to "xx.yy.zz.tt" closed by remote host.

So the ReactOS script displays "Preparing reactos..." but then never gets
to the point to display "Configure script complete! Enter directories and
execute appropriate build commands".

Basically this means that something happens inside the cmake call, which
causes the AWS host to forcible close the connection.

And, to make things even weirder, I have also discovered this while trying
to trace the list of running processes from another ssh connection to the
same host: This CMake bug forced the close of BOTH ssh connections (not
only the one in which I was running "configure", but also the other ssh
connection which was unrelated! )

Do you have any explanation as to what bug inside CMake is causing the
amazon node to kill all ssh connections?

Thanks, and sorry for the long rant, I was trying to be as detailed as
possible. :)