[CMake] Tracking progress of CMake TAR

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 11:53:23 EST 2018

Le lun. 17 déc. 2018 à 17:17, Person Withhats <personwithhats2 at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> It's untarring around 1.5GB of SDK's, I don't think listing 1000's of
> files is going to help.

Yes right.
You need some "size extraction progress" not number of files progress.

I'm not sure classical un-archive program do have the feature.

I'm pretty sure that "working progress bar" is most of the time very
difficult to implement:
https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/11881/progress-bars-why-are-they-never-useful

I was hoping for some sort of progress bar or the like,

I'm pretty sure cmake -E tar does not have this feature.
Genuine unix tar command does not have such feature and some people uses
'pv' (http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml)
for that very same purpose
e.g.
https://superuser.com/questions/168749/is-there-a-way-to-see-any-tar-progress-per-file

I guess the issue is the same for other archive tool including zip:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/909918/q-how-to-show-unzip-progress

CMake is using libarchive for handling various archive files (including
tar) libarchive seems to have
some feature for progress display (
https://github.com/libarchive/libarchive/wiki/ManPageArchiveReadExtract3)
but CMake code is not using it in any way.

> and yes I'm using cmake -E tar .-.
>
> Any ideas?

Beside non-portable way no.