[CMake] Why does CMake 3.9.0 open VS2017 when targeting 2013 after installing 2017... sigh.

Brian Davis bitminer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 11:45:46 EDT 2018

 Yes I know all about the bit about having to reinstall CUDA (been using it
since the 2.0 days) for 2017 (using VS since 2005).... if only I could get
CMake to call VS2013... ya know the version that already has cuda 8.0
installed and configured and the extensions from C:\Program Files\NVIDIA
GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v8.0\extras\visual_studio_integration\MSBuildExtensions
that get installed

Can CMake defer to what the user ultimately wants? .. say the correct
version of VS.  I mean that is what I thought I specified.

I had thought when I upgraded to 3.8/3.9 or whatever at the time that ...
Oh great they now have an open project button... .maybe that will allow me
to not have to generate .bat scripts to load VS (mind you my .bat script
generation in CMake could actually tell me which correct version to load so
these kinds of things are possible) with the env vars I set and set them in
CMake and have CMake load VS (again correct version) with said env.  It
worked like a charm... well for a while anyway as it does with anything in
the tech world.  I certainly feel like I have upgraded.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Robert Maynard <robert.maynard at kitware.com>
wrote:

> > cannot find CUDA likely as CUDA was not installed after 2017
>
> The CUDA language support requires the CUDA MSBUILD extensions, which
> will require you to run the CUDA installer again ( it only installs
> the msbuild extensions for versions that are currently installed ).
>
> >  I would like it to load 2013 after being told to generate Visual Studio
> 2013 project files.
>
>  As Hendrik stated CMake defers to the windows shell/explorer for
> opening solution files.
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 7:27 PM Brian Davis <bitminer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > It also cannot find CUDA likely as CUDA was not installed after 2017.  I
> would like it to load 2013 after being told to generate Visual Studio 2013
> project files.  Is this difficult to ask fo Kitware?  I am sure there are
> certainly some shenanigans like path or VS2017 hooking calls to 2013 tools
> or the like all of which I am sure make sens to a cubite in the bowels of
> the MS machine.  VS loaded 2017 and vs 2013  proj files then promptly had
> problems searching files, compiling stale targets and the like.  So while
> VS2017 make "hook" 2013 tools it certainly can't do any thing useful with
> them IME.  Is there a Meta buld tool (goop generator) that will build goop
> for a target goop reader then call said target goop reader (of correct
> specified version) to read goop and compile my code?  sigh.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Powered by www.kitware.com

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
> >
> > Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more
> >
> > CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
> > CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
> > CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html
> >
> > Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/