[CMake] Issues trying to use the Anaconda compiler tools with CMake

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 05:50:29 EDT 2018

Le mer. 15 août 2018 à 10:57, Ray Donnelly <mingw.android at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Docker is unnecessary overhead here and irrelevant to the question of
> which compilers to use when building conda packages (use ours or risk
> binary incompatibility with the rest of the ecosystems, please do not
> attempt to use e.g. CentOS6 system compilers to compile modern software
> either!). Docker doesn't come with modern compilers patched to support
> things like c++17 on CentOS6, they are also slow and to not mitigate
> against Spectre.

Hi Ray,

Don't get me wrong I certainly don't want to generate flamewar against the
benefits conda gives to many users.
I routinely use custom-compiled compilers in native environment (without
docker nor conda though) and I did never have any issue while compiling
things with CMake and those custom compilers.

> Our compilation story is very good.

Again I don't doubt that, and please accept my apologies if my previous
words may have been understood otherwise.

> For testing the packages though (on Linux targets) I love using docker. I
> can make sure our conda packages work on all the OSes we support.

Agreed too, use the right tool for the right purpose.

> You can if you want use our compilers in docker but it's pretty pointless
> (and routing conda package building thorough something like docker is a
> requirement the community, conda forge in particular does not need).

I don't want that I was asking question about Sebastian needs and certainly
not questioning the value of conda and in particular the conda compiler
work you did.
I know too well that having a "fully controlled compiler version" is
essential when you want to support a wide range of platforms [even various
linux distribution], precisely because you want to ensure that you can "at
least" have say C++17 on all your supported platform/distros, or common
runtime or homogeneous OpenMP support etc...

> I dream of a day when docker is seen as one great tool with lots of useful
> applications instead of the solution to everything but I don't see it
> coming anytime soon.

I really don't think docker is the solution to everything.
Again I'm sorry if my previous statement may have been understood otherwise.

Having conda/conda compiler/conda build work seamlessly working with CMake
is valuable and I'm sure you'll find the proper solution for that along
with Kitware
as already referred issue and PR indicates.

--
Eric