[CMake] Error doing a test compile on Windows

Rick McGuire object.rexx at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 13:00:40 EDT 2018

I'm in the process of moving all of my work to a new computer and I'm
encountering a puzzling error using cmake for my projects. When I try to
set up the project, I'm getting an error when cmake tries to do a test
compile using the Visual Studio compiler. According to the error log, the
problem was with locating Kernel32.lib.

I see others on this list have encountered this problem, but none of the
solutions suggested have been any help. I've completely uninstalled visual
studio and the Windows SDK and reinstalled every thing. I've tried manually
adding the directory with the correct Kernel32.lib to the LIBPATH. It still
fails. I've done a comparison between my old machine and my new machine and
everything looks the same, even the environment variables set by vcvarsall.

I've run out of ideas here. My old machine was bricked by a Windows update
back in January and I was forced to reinstall everything on the machine
without encountering any problems like this. Any suggestions?

Rick