[CMake] FetchContent and find_package

Craig Scott craig.scott at crascit.com
Tue Apr 10 17:37:17 EDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 2:28 AM, Saad Khattak <saadrustam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Craig.
>
> >> Imported targets are definitely more preferable though
>
> Can you please elaborate on this?

Variables are the old way of passing details about a target to a consuming
target. It was customary to provide one variable listing the library that
consuming projects would link to, then another variable would provide
header search paths, maybe yet another for compiler defines, and so on.
This is fragile and doesn't provide transitive dependencies (also sometimes
called usage requirements), so the consuming project may then have to work
out what other libraries it had to link to as well, what other header
search paths it might need and so on. Imported targets address all of those
problems. They act just like a regular target in the sense that they
support usage requirements, so anything that links to them also gets the
information about what other libraries to link against, what header search
paths to add, etc. CMake automatically uses those details to augment the
necessary command lines without you having to do anything. Basically you
just link against the imported target and that's job done from the
project's perspective. Much more robust, way easier to use.

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 10:23 AM Craig Scott <craig.scott at crascit.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:07 PM, Saad Khattak <saadrustam at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My project is setup in such a way that I perform a FetchContent 'only
>>> if' my find_package fails.
>>>
>>> This works very well until I start building different configurations.
>>> Let's say I generate and build Debug for my project. My project tries to
>>> find_package(LibA QUIET) and cannot find it. So, it performs a
>>> FetchContent(...) step, builds the dependency and my library and installs

--
Craig Scott
Melbourne, Australia