[CMake] CMake with VS2015 C++ Build Tools and missing ucrtbased.dll

TT tenorsax at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 11:47:02 EST 2017

I'm having the same problem with "missing" ucrtbased.dll even though it is
present in all the platforms under C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\bin\

I have tried reinstalling the Windows SDK and the Microsoft C++ Build Tools
(2015).

Here are some related links with no solutions:

1)
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/25a64cd8-1482-4cc4-9dbb-3a420c7a31be/visual-c-build-tools-doesnt-install-ucrtbaseddll?forum=vssetup
 - I can't reinstall Visual Studio, because I never installed it, only the
aforementioned Build Tools.

2)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33743493/why-visual-studio-2015-cant-run-exe-file-ucrtbased-dll/41970093
 - This one says "This problem is from VS 2015 silently failing to copy
ucrtbased.dll (debug) and ucrtbase.dll (release) into the appropriate system
folders.."

Here is a recent answer that seems to be getting at the root cause of the
problem:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/35466136/3066295

Which links to this,
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2015/03/03/introducing-the-universal-crt/

Which has a comment part way down that says "When debugging on machines that
do not have the Windows SDK installed, we would recommend copying the debug
Universal CRT (ucrtbased.dll) app-locally with your app, or copying it to
the system directory yourself."

So the solution seems to be install either the Windows SDK (10 not just 8.1
as I have) or copy the ucrtbased.dll to C:\Windows\System32