[CMake] Best way to integrate sphinx documentation into a project with a large number of code generated sources...

Malfettone, Kris Kris.Malfettone at sig.com
Wed Jun 7 18:15:58 EDT 2017

Hi all,
I have a very large project (many thousands of targets) that I manage with CMake.  I currently, as part of my build, code generate the vast majority of sources and some sources are several layers deep of generation steps.  I would like to add in a step to generate Sphinx documentation for my project but because the sphinx generation step must be run after all the various pieces have been generated, so it can parse the generated source files, it can be quite tedious to setup the CMake rules for it.  For instance, the general gist is that I must make sure that the "generate sphinx" target has the proper dependencies on all the various number of pieces that need to build first.  I was wondering if there was an alternative way for me to setup the "generate sphinx" target that I could more easily both ensure that my entire project is built first but not have to specify the dependencies anywhere as I add in more steps or targets into my process.

For instance, one idea I was thinking of was if I modeled my project as two projects one the actual building and the other just the documentation generation.  The second project could reference the other as an external project.  Would that be a good way to go?  Has anyone else dealt with this in the past?

-Kris