[CMake] A simple website to get started on new CMake projects

Julio Gutierrez juliog at Knights.ucf.edu
Fri Jun 2 02:21:03 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I've used CMake for a few years now in almost all of my projects. It's a great tool and it makes my life easy. However, every time I start a new project, I just can't remember CMake's syntax and all of the commands. I usually spend a lot of time rereading the CMake docs or referencing my old CMake scripts. So I decided to make an open-source website that will help developers get started on a new CMake-based project just a tiny bit faster.

It's available here (requires JavaScript and a modern browser): https://jgcoded.github.io/CMakeStarter/

Instead of writing your CMake code from scratch, you instead fill out a few forms on this website. Once you've filled out everything to your liking, you can then download the skeleton files as a ZIP file.

The website does have a few shortcomings, and the generated CMake files are in my own personal opinion of what I think is right. The way I've used CMake might be different from how others use it, so that's where I think I can get some help from the CMake community. if you think something isn't right or if something is missing, then please submit a new issue on project's issue page, found here: https://github.com/jgcoded/CMakeStarter/issues. Or even better, send a pull request!

Regards,

Julio