[CMake] Ubuntu package versioning

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Dec 18 22:39:44 EST 2017

On 2017-12-18 19:14-0500 <Alexander G. Riccio> wrote:

> I'm not sure who maintains the Ubuntu cmake package, but I *just* installed
> it, and cmake --version reported 3.5.1... a little bit out of date.

If you look at
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=cmake&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all>
the various Ubuntu distribution versions called xenial, zesty, artful, and
bionic provide respectively CMake versions 3.5.1, 3.7.2, 3.9.1, and
3.9.5.  And similar situations occur for all other Linux distros.

So if you upgrade to a later Ubuntu version you will automatically get
access to a later CMake version. But such upgrades are non-trivial so a
compromise that allows you to delay doing such an upgrade for a while
would be to build and use a newer version of CMake yourself.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin