[CMake] SWIG_ADD_LIBRARY Documentation?

J. Caleb Wherry calebwherry at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 12:43:56 EST 2017

USE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB literally means use whatever is set by
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS. Typically, this is the preferred method for either
building a static or shared lib since the user can control what they
want/need. You don’t have to specify the type of lib to build when calling
add_library, it uses shared if BUILD_SHARED_LIBS is true, otherwise static.

Otherwise you can specify the TYPE and the user can’t override it, they
always get the type of lib you set.

-Caleb

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 12:23 PM Rob McDonald <rob.a.mcdonald at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In version 3.8, SWIG_ADD_MODULE was deprecated in favor of
> SWIG_ADD_LIBRARY.  This added the ability to control the TYPE for the
> target.  From the documentation, the options are this:
>
> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.8/module/UseSWIG.html
>
> TYPE <SHARED|MODULE|STATIC|USE_BUILD_SHARED_LIBS>
>
> However, I can find no documentation of what these options mean and
> why someone would choose one over the other.
>
> I found some developer comments in KitWare's bug tracker proposing a
> change of the default, but it looks like they left it as 'MODULE'.
> https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/merge_requests/253
>
> However, even which TYPE value is default appears undocumented.
>
> If we want to generalize from ADD_LIBRARY, we can get an idea of what
> some of the options generally mean:
> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.0/command/add_library.html
>
> However, that says nothing for USE_BUILD_SHARED_LIBS -- which appears
> to be entirely unique to SWIG_ADD_LIBRARY.  It was also the proposed
> alternate default in the referenced proposal.
>
> So, can anyone explain in the context of SWIG/C++/Python, why I would
> want to choose SHARED, STATIC, or USE_BUILD_SHARED_LIBS?  What would
> be the practical impact on my wrapper, how it is built, its
> dependencies, etc.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Rob
> --