[CMake] Find packages coming from homebrew

Cedric Doucet cedric.doucet at inria.fr
Wed Nov 23 09:55:03 EST 2016

Hello,

I would like to write some FindFoo.cmake files to find packages installed on different systems including Mac.
I have noticed that homebrew install packages in a repertory whose name depends on the version of the package.
For example, I have installed a scientific library called scotch, and it is now installed here:

/usr/local/Cellar/scotch/6.0.4_4

What is the best way to handle such a path in FindScotch.cmake?

I have think about these ones:

- looking for /usr/local/Cellar/scotch/${SCOTCH_VERSION} where SCOTCH_VERSION has to be provided by users;

- force users to install a specific version of Scotch which is hardcoded in SCOTCH_VERSION variable.

I think the latter option is better since there is no reason that any version of scotch will be compatible with my own code.

Is there a better way?

Best regards,

Cédric