[CMake] Force MSVC runtime for debug builds

Mueller-Roemer, Johannes Sebastian Johannes.Sebastian.Mueller-Roemer at igd.fraunhofer.de
Tue Nov 15 03:47:38 EST 2016

I agree that CMake should not be defining _DEBUG explicitly, as it is used by Microsoft’s headers to match the chosen runtime.
Maybe this warrants a bug report on gitlab.

From: CMake [mailto:cmake-bounces at cmake.org] On Behalf Of Kim Kryger
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 22:05
To: Stephan Menzel <stephan.menzel at gmail.com>
Cc: cmake <cmake at cmake.org>
Subject: Re: [CMake] Force MSVC runtime for debug builds

I ran into this today. I tried to use /MD to link against a custom md library, but because _DEBUG was defined *by CMake* I couldn't use it out of the box.

Why is CMake defining _DEBUG for MSVC projects anyways? _DEBUG is automatically defined when using /MDd, and I don't believe it should be defining it itself. I've had to remove it for multiple projects because it's making assumptions as to what I want defined.

Default for CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG_INIT
/D_DEBUG /MDd /Zi /Ob0 /Od /RTC1

I don't think that first define should be there.

Reference:
https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/blob/5d29506811c5b75ae48e12de6c317f6440874215/Modules/Platform/Windows-MSVC.cmake#L294
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0b98s6w8.aspx