[CMake] Building CMake without Curl

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Thu Nov 3 11:12:10 EDT 2016

It looks like you're using an existing configuration already set to use
system installed libraries.  Try from a clean source tree and an
out-of-source (the recommend way to do all cmake things) build directory.
Using the 3.6.2 tarball, I get:

$ tar -xvf cmake-3.6.2.tar.gz
... lots of tar output ...
$ mkdir cmake-3.6.2-build
$ cd cmake-3.6.2-build
$ ../cmake-3.6.2/bootstrap --prefix=../cmake-3.6.2-install
CMake 3.6.2, Copyright 2000-2016 Kitware, Inc.
Found GNU toolchain
C compiler on this system is: gcc
C++ compiler on this system is: g++
Makefile processor on this system is: gmake
g++ is GNU compiler
g++ has setenv
g++ has unsetenv
g++ does not have environ in stdlib.h
g++ has stl wstring
... lots of compile output ...
atkins/Code/CMake/source/cmake-3.6.2-build/Bootstrap.
cmk/InitialCacheFlags.cmake
... lots of cmake output ...
CMake has bootstrapped.  Now run gmake.
$

At this point, if you run "make help" then you'll get a list of available
targets.  In there, amongst others, you will see cmzlib, cmcurl, cmbzip2,
cmliblzma, cmlibarchive, cmexpat, and cmjsoncpp.  These are CMake's
internal copies of the dependencies.  When bootstrap is run with
--system-libs then system versions of those dependencies will be used
instead and the previously mentioned cm<libname> targets will not exist in
the make help output.

Chuck Atkins
Staff R&D Engineer, Scientific Computing
Kitware, Inc.