[CMake] in source makefile / helper script that enables building out of source?

Steve Lorimer steve.lorimer at gmail.com
Wed May 11 09:58:03 EDT 2016

I've recently changed over from using boost-build (
http://www.boost.org/build/) to cmake.

Boost build builds in-source.

I've become quite used to building and searching etc from the source root

~/src $ b2 module
~/src $ git grep foo

This work flow has been broken because I'm not using out of source builds

~/src/build $ make module
~/src/build $ git grep... dang it! <ctrl-c>
~/src/build $ cd ..
~/src $ git grep foo
~/src $ make modu... dang it! <ctrl-c>
~/src $ cd build
~/src/build $ make module

I can't be the only one who wants to have the benefit of out of source
builds and be able to build from in-source.

I imagine it would be relatively simple to create a makefile which
navigates to a known build directory (eg: build or debug or...), executes
make there, and then changes directory back to where it was called from.

Before I do just this, I thought it better to try leverage the open source
community - hence asking the question.

Does anyone have a script or makefile which does just this?

TIA
Steve