[CMake] CMake terminology

Ruslan Baratov ruslan_baratov at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 16:06:16 EDT 2016

Hi,

I have a question about CMake terminology. When we are using CMake GUI
there are two buttons "Configure" and "Generate", hence we have two stages:

1. Configure step, when we do configuring project, effectively creating
file with cache variables (which we can modify) without really
generating native tools files like Makefile/*.sln/etc.

2. Generate step, when we do generating project using file with cache
variables, i.e. create those Makefile/*.sln/etc.

The question is about command line version of CMake. Since we do
creating file with cache and generate native tools files in one step
what is the right term? Is it a configure step because we read user's
'-D' and create cache file?  Is it a generate step because native tools
files generated at the end? May be there is a third name to describe the
fact that it's configure+generate step?

Thanks, Ruslo