[CMake] Provide configuration settings for users

Cedric Doucet cedric.doucet at inria.fr
Tue Jun 14 06:28:46 EDT 2016

Hello,

is there a native way to provide configuration settings for the users of a software?

For example, I develop a software which depends on several 3rd party libraries which are automatically downloaded and installed with the ExternalProject module.
My CMake configuration scripts are written so as to handle these 3rd party libraries.
During installation of the software, header files and libraries are copied to the destination directory but (of course) without their 3rd party dependencies.
Therefore, if a user wants to use my software, he has to handle these 3rd party libraries during compilation and linking steps.
Depending on the skills of the user, it may be difficult to achieve it.

I would like to know if there exists a native way of providing sufficient configuration information so that users do not have to handle these libraries.
For the moment, I provide a CMakeLists template but I wonder if it's the best possible solution.

Best regards,

Cédric Doucet