[CMake] No debugging symbols found when using -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug

eschnigma at openmailbox.org eschnigma at openmailbox.org
Thu Jun 2 06:06:50 EDT 2016

Renaming the folder did indeed fix it here. I tested with g++ and Clang,
both work fine.
This is on a different machine than I was posting from before, but it's
also running Manjaro.
I will test this on my main machine once I'm home, which will be be in
six hours or so, and I'll let you know the results.

On 2016-06-01 23:54, Chuck Atkins wrote:

> Wow, so this is actually a pretty obscure find. You've definitely stumbled across a bug. It has nothing to do with debug symbols and everything to do with compiler identification. It seems that our binary strings parsing is broken when "[anything]" is in the file path. Without looking at the code too deeply, i imagine something is not getting properly escaped somewhere. As a workaround for now, rename your "[Code]" folder to "Code" and then it should work (lame I know). I would ask you to please file a bug report but new user registration is currently disabled due to some spam issues we were having. I'll put it in the queue for issues to address in future releases but I doubt it will make it into the 3.6 release since it seems to have been there for a long time without affecting too many users but it should be able to get fixed in a future release.
>
> Once we open the bug tracker up again then please definitely report the issue (unless you already have an account then go ahead and report it now).
>
> Thanks for the find!
>
> - Chuck
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Esch Nigma <eschnigma at openmailbox.org> wrote:
>
>> I tried it out just now.
>>
>> I pulled and installed a couple 5.x packages from the Arch archive:
>>
>> https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/ [1]
>>
>> The packages:
>>
>> gcc-libs-multilib-5.3.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
>>
>> gcc-multilib-5.3.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
>>
>> lib32-gcc-libs-5.3.0-4-x86_64.p
>>
>> The downgrade didn't change anything for my Hello World program.
>>
>> For the project I'm actively working on, it broke everything, since C++11 is no longer recognized.
>>
>> On my system I had to pull the 'multilib' versions, as this is what my system seems to be using. If requested, I can try to switch to normal gcc to test that out.
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 11:46:40 AM EEST Chuck Atkins wrote:
>>
>> Interesting. It seems CMake is having trouble identifying GCC in 6.1.1. Do you have a 5.x compiler available? If so does it work with that? That would help narrow it down to a gcc6 issue vs something about how Manjaro packages compilers.
>>
>> - Chuck
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Esch Nigma <eschnigma at openmailbox.org> wrote:
>>
>> The standard choice is c++
>>
>> [eschnigma at manjaro ~]$ c++ --version
>> c++ (GCC) 6.1.1 20160501
>> Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
>> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>>
>> But I've tried enforcing g++ as such:
>>
>> -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/gcc -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER:STRING=/usr/bin/g++
>>
>> And that has the same results.
>>
>> Version:
>>
>> [eschnigma at manjaro ~]$ g++ --version
>> g++ (GCC) 6.1.1 20160501
>> Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> [...]

Links:
------
[1] https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/