[CMake] [ANNOUNCE] CMake 3.5.0-rc2 now ready for testing!

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Feb 11 03:43:30 EST 2016

On 2016-02-10 15:40-0500 Robert Maynard wrote:

> I am proud to announce the second CMake 3.5 release candidate.

Thanks, CMake developers!

You usually get complaints here from me and other users so I thought I
would send along a success story as well for a software project
(PLplot) that has been using CMake for a decade now.

On my Debian Jessie platform, I just ran a one-hour comprehensive
suite of configurations, builds and tests (one-fourth with ctest in
the build tree, 3-fourths with a largely equivalent set of custom test
commands and targets I have implemented over the years for our
CMake-configured build tree, our installed examples tree using a
CMake-based build system for that, and our installed examples tree
using a traditional (pkg-config + Makefile) build system for that) of
the PLplot core libraries, our plot device drivers, and our standard
set of 33 examples written in the ~10 computer languages that we
support.  I used CMake 3.5.0-rc2 (built by me using the bootstrap
method) to configure this comprhensive set of tests, and the same
version of CTest to run the ctest part of the tests, and everything
passed with flying colors just like it did for the same comprehensive
test of PLplot using cmake versions 3.3.2 and 3.4.3.

In sum, the latest 3.3 and 3.4 releases (i.e., 3.3.2 and 3.4.3) have
been rock solid for my comprehensive Linux tests of PLplot, and it
appears 3.5.0 is already looking similarly good from the PLplot
perspective.

N.B. our build system in the Linux case still uses
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.0.2) to enable users of modern
versions of Linux stable platforms such as Debian stable (a.k.a
jessie) to build PLplot using the system CMake version (3.0.2 for the
Debian stable) rather than having to build their own modern version of
CMake in order to build PLplot.  So the above tests of much more
modern CMake versions were all done for cmake_policy(VERSION 3.0.2).
But I will likely change that to 3.4.3 within a year or so, i.e., when
most stable versions of modern Linux distributions will likely be
released that provide that much more modern version of CMake.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin