[CMake] [cmake-developers] Need ideas/opinions on third party library management

Ruslan Baratov ruslan_baratov at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 17:36:21 EDT 2016

On 16-Aug-16 16:37, Florent Castelli wrote:
> Well, I tried upstreaming the new build scripts to some projects and
> it didn’t go well.
> Some of the reasons I’ve heard of:
> - Windows developpers don’t use CMake, they have project files on the
> repository.
>   The CMake files for Windows will never be updated.
They can coexists, it's easier then maintaining forks. If only C++ code
changed you got new version "for free".

> - I installed CMake 2.8.6 five years ago and I don’t want to update
> yet again!
>   People relying on old versions is quite common and any attempt to
> raise the min
>   version will be frowned upon (see the discussion in the LLVM mailing
> lists for example).
You can add `if(CMAKE_VERSION VERSION_LESS ...)` condition. It's hard to
support such hairy configuration but anyway.

> - We prefer to use autotools and don’t want to have to learn CMake.
>   That’s fair. But also, no one likes to build an autotools backed
> project for Android or iOS.
Just for your info Hunter use build scheme for autotools project:
https://github.com/ruslo/hunter/blob/b4c370e32798cc3da74c37e4156c3bfc77add379/cmake/modules/hunter_autotools_project.cmake
It can create universal iOS libraries and works for Android. There are a
lot of efforts made by Alexandre Pretyman so this can be possible, it
has some peculiarities. I guess he can clarify anything if you need details.

Ruslo