[CMake] FAQ broken link, "Why does CMake generate recursive Makefiles?"

Bob Hernon bob.infiniteventures at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 15:47:17 EDT 2016

I don't have access to fix this myself, so I hope someone on this list can.
Sorry, I'm not ready to commit to a git membership to report bugs, and hope
I'm not butting in where I don't belong.

*See FAQ topic link*:
https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Why_does_CMake_generate_
recursive_Makefiles.3F

*Specific Text *

   - Miller, Peter A., Recursive Make Considered Harmful
   <http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/>, AUUGN Journal of AUUG
   Inc., 19(1), pp. 14-25, 1998

*Result*
That link is broken: 404 error @ "miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/"

*New Correct Link:*
http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf

*Addendum:*
I hope you can also include the counter claim, also a research project:
*Non-recursive Make Considered Harmful *
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/
papers/ghc-shake/ghc-shake.pdf

<summary>
Indeed, the latter refers to the former and was a research project to
compare theories, based on a real 25 year old product problem. I found them
both to be interesting considerations, and excellent resources for those
wanting to truly understand the issues.
</summary>

<full disclosure>
I have no relationship to any authors or institutions, just wanted to read
the first paper and found the latest URL from my favorite search engine.
</full disclosure>

<who the heck is bob?>
I'm a brand new CMake user, and I'm excited to get going. Still reading
docs, going to install and set up today hopefully.  I spent 20 years in the
collective at Big Behemoth Global Corp building software and thrilled to
find something like CMake where I can apply all those best practices I had
learned to love and rely on out here in the real world. Looking forward to
a long relationship.
</who the heck is bob?>

Cheers!