[CMake] [Plplot-devel] [ANNOUNCE] CMake 3.4.0-rc1 is now ready!

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sat Oct 31 13:10:25 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-30 19:59-0600 Orion Poplawski wrote:

> On 10/22/2015 11:30 AM, Brad King wrote:
[...]
>> Where Plplot currently writes:
>>
>>    SET(CMAKE_Ada_COMPILE_OBJECT
>>      "<CMAKE_Ada_COMPILER> <FLAGS> -c <SOURCE> -o <OBJECT>
>>      ")
>>
>> try:
>>
>>    if(NOT CMAKE_VERSION VERSION_LESS 3.4)
>>      set(CMAKE_Ada_COMPILE_OBJECT
>>        "<CMAKE_Ada_COMPILER> <INCLUDES> <FLAGS> -c <SOURCE> -o <OBJECT>")
>>    else()
>>      set(CMAKE_Ada_COMPILE_OBJECT
>>        "<CMAKE_Ada_COMPILER> <FLAGS> -c <SOURCE> -o <OBJECT>")
>>    endif()
>>
>> -Brad
>>

> Ah, thank you very much.  The attached patch fixes this.

Hi Orion:

Thanks for implementing Brad's suggestion to fix the PLplot Ada
language support issue for CMake-3.4.  To help give you PLplot git
credit for your work, would you please put the patch in "git
format-patch" form?

I also notice substantial use of <FLAGS> in the PLplot D language
support case. I assume your tests did not reveal any issues for D
because you were not trying any D compiler flags, but I predict if you
do that, you will encounter the same problem.  For example, if you try

export DFLAGS=-Iwhatever

I assume that (harmless) compile flag will correctly propagate to the D compile step (as seen
by the VERBOSE=1 option for make) for older versions of CMake but will
not propagate correctly for CMake-3.4.

Anyhow, I am virtually positive there is also a PLplot <FLAGS> D
language support issue for CMake-3.4 so if you don't beat me to it, I
plan (likely late next week because I am currently tied up with
something else) to expose that issue with a test like the one I
suggested above and also plan to fix the issue following Brad's
suggestion.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin