[CMake] Determining appropriate setting for CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED

Zac Bergquist zbergquist99 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:27:50 EDT 2015

Hello,

Is there a particular tool or method that one should use to determine the
appropriate setting for CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED? By appropriate, I mean the
earliest version that encompasses all of the features used by the project.

For example, I'm using the CMakePackageConfigHelpers module in a project,
and I'm trying to determine which version of CMake this was introduced in,
so that I can ensure my minimum required version is sufficient.

I checked both the documentation
<https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.0/module/CMakePackageConfigHelpers.html> for
this feature and searched through the CMake release notes, but I can't seem
to find the right version.  The only thing I found was a mention of the
module in the release notes for 3.0.2, but the wording suggests that this
was just an update and not the initial introduction of the feature.

I feel like I'm missing something.  This seems like a common task in
workflows using CMake.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Zac