[CMake] CMake on OpenVMS - approaching the finish line

Custin, Jay (CSC Sw Middleware) jay.custin at hpe.com
Fri Oct 2 00:15:10 EDT 2015

Had a few environmental issues that bit me (and drew blood)... but have gotten MUCH closer to the goal... except

bash-4.3$ ./configure --system-curl --system-zlib --verbose --init=BuildCMakeOpenVMS_CacheFlags.cmake

<<CUT>>

/bin/cc -Wc/warnings=disable=all -I/PRJ_ROOT/CMAKE-3_3_2/Bootstrap_cmk -I/PRJ_ROOT/CMAKE-3_3_2/Source   -I/PRJ_ROOT/CMAKE-3_3_2/Bootstrap_cmk -DKWSYS_NAMESPACE=cmsys  -c /PRJ_ROOT/CMAKE-3_3_2/Source/kwsys/Terminal.c -o Terminal.o
cc  -Wc/warnings=disable=all  -I/PRJ_ROOT/CMAKE-3_3_2/Bootstrap_cmk -I/PRJ_ROOT/CMAKE-3_3_2/Source   -I/PRJ_ROOT/CMAKE-3_3_2/Bootstrap_cmk  cmake.o cmakemain.o cmcmd.o cmCommandArgumentLexer.o cmCommandArgumentParser.o cmCommandArgumentParserHelper.o cmCPackPropertiesGenerator.o cmDefinitions.o cmDepends.o cmDependsC.o cmDocumentationFormatter.o cmPolicies.o cmProperty.o cmPropertyMap.o cmPropertyDefinition.o cmPropertyDefinitionMap.o cmMakeDepend.o cmMakefile.o cmExportFileGenerator.o cmExportInstallFileGenerator.o cmExportTryCompileFileGenerator.o cmExportSet.o cmExportSetMap.o cmExternalMakefileProjectGenerator.o cmGeneratorExpressionEvaluationFile.o cmGeneratedFileStream.o cmGeneratorTarget.o cmGeneratorExpressionContext.o cmGeneratorExpressionDAGChecker.o cmGeneratorExpressionEvaluator.o cmGeneratorExpressionLexer.o cmGeneratorExpressionNode.o cmGeneratorExpressionParser.o cmGeneratorExpression.o cmGlobalGenerator.o cmInstallDirectoryGenerator.o cmLocalGenerator.o cmInstalledFile.o cmInstallGenerator.o cmInstallExportGenerator.o cmInstallFilesGenerator.o cmInstallScriptGenerator.o cmInstallTargetGenerator.o cmScriptGenerator.o cmSourceFile.o cmSourceFileLocation.o cmState.o cmSystemTools.o cmTestGenerator.o cmVersion.o cmFileTimeComparison.o cmGlobalUnixMakefileGenerator3.o cmLocalUnixMakefileGenerator3.o cmMakefileExecutableTargetGenerator.o cmMakefileLibraryTargetGenerator.o cmMakefileTargetGenerator.o cmMakefileUtilityTargetGenerator.o cmOSXBundleGenerator.o cmNewLineStyle.o cmBootstrapCommands1.o cmBootstrapCommands2.o cmCommandsForBootstrap.o cmTarget.o cmTest.o cmCustomCommand.o cmCustomCommandGenerator.o cmCacheManager.o cmListFileCache.o cmComputeLinkDepends.o cmComputeLinkInformation.o cmOrderDirectories.o cmComputeTargetDepends.o cmComputeComponentGraph.o cmExprLexer.o cmExprParser.o cmExprParserHelper.o cmGlobalNinjaGenerator.o cmLocalNinjaGenerator.o cmNinjaTargetGenerator.o cmNinjaNormalTargetGenerator.o cmNinjaUtilityTargetGenerator.o cmListFileLexer.o vms_crtl_init.o Directory.o EncodingCXX.o FStream.o Glob.o RegularExpression.o SystemTools.o EncodingC.o ProcessUNIX.o String.o System.o Terminal.o -o cmake
-- The C compiler identification is HP
-- The CXX compiler identification is HP
-- Check for working C compiler: /bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /bin/cc
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info

<<CUT>>

-- Checking whether CXX compiler has atoll
-- Checking whether CXX compiler has atoll - yes
-- Checking whether CXX compiler has _atoi64
-- Checking whether CXX compiler has _atoi64 - no
-- Looking for C++ include execinfo.h
-- Looking for C++ include execinfo.h - not found
-- Using system-installed CURL
-- Using system-installed ZLIB
-- Could NOT find ZLIB (missing:  ZLIB_LIBRARY) (found version "1.2.8")
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:266 (message):
  CMAKE_USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB is ON but a zlib is not found!
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:533 (CMAKE_BUILD_UTILITIES)

See also "/PRJ_ROOT/CMAKE-3_3_2/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/PRJ_ROOT/CMAKE-3_3_2/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
CMake has bootstrapped.  Now run make.
./configure: line 3: /PRJ_ROOT/CMAKE-3_3_2/bootstrap: error 0
bash-4.3$

It appears this error occurs during the execution of FindZLIB.cmake (I added a MESSAGE statement and confirmed that) and when I looked at that file... this strikes me as odd...

Lines 70-77:

70 # Normal search.
71 set(_ZLIB_SEARCH_NORMAL
72   PATHS "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\GnuWin32\\Zlib;InstallPath]"
73         "$ENV{PROGRAMFILES}/zlib"
74   )
75 list(APPEND _ZLIB_SEARCHES _ZLIB_SEARCH_NORMAL)
76
77 set(ZLIB_NAMES z zlib zdll zlib1 zlibd zlibd1)

Now if I have correctly guessed at this will do... this would ONLY work on a Windows-based platforms (since *nix doesn't use Microsoft's registry keys, thank God!, and it wouldn't go searching in {Programfiles}/zlib on a *nix system either, I wouldn't think).

Even more confusing... at least to me... the error message clearly indicates it has found >> a << ZLIB:

...(found version "1.2.8")

Which matches the version information of the ZLIB I have installed on the VMS system:

ITAN1> product show product zlib
PRODUCT                              KIT TYPE    STATE
VMSPORTS I64VMS ZLIB V1.2-8          Full LP     Installed

1 item found

Any suggestions?

JayC