[CMake] Speeding up configuration/generation.

Golebiewski, Jakub Jakub.Golebiewski at dnvgl.com
Mon Nov 16 05:37:46 EST 2015

Hi,

I have a windows application consisting of about 550 Visual Studio projects. Entire CMake run on this takes about 3 minutes, with VS 2010 generator, and I've been thinking about ways to speed it up.

So if I understand correctly, now, when I have the entire build generated and I change one CMakeLists.txt file, the entire configuration/generation is rerun from scratch (right?).

So I've been thinking if It would be possible to cache results of configuration phase and only run the scripts in their entirety when they has been changed (determined by timestamp or hash). Otherwise only
add_subdirectory functions are executed. I've looked into the code only a bit so I might be wrong about how it works - if so please correct me.

Did you guys maybe think about something like this?

Regards,

This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain confidential information and/or information protected by intellectual property rights for the exclusive attention of the intended addressees named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and its attachments. Unauthorized use, copying or further full or partial distribution of this e-mail or its contents is prohibited.