[CMake] runtime env variables in ctest

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 13:44:48 EST 2015

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Jim Edwards <jedwards at ucar.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to pass a variable to ctest that will only be evaluated at
> runtime.
> If I hand edit the add_test command I can get it to work, the hand edited
> add test looks like:
>
> add_test(piotest "runjob" "--np" "4" "--block" "$ENV{COBALT_PARTITION}"
> ":" "/gpfs/piotest")
>
> ​But I can't get cmake to generate this line for me, it either evaluates
> $ENV{COBALT_PARTITION} at build time or it escapes the $ so that I have:
>
> add_test(piotest "runjob" "--np" "4" "--block" "\$ENV{COBALT_PARTITION}"
> ":" "/gpfs/piotest")​
>
> ​and it never gets evaluated.    The statement I am working with is
>
>      set(REQUIRED_OPTION --block \$ENV{COBALT_PARTITION} )

Try

set(REQUIRED_OPTION "--block \$ENV{COBALT_PARTITION}")

That way you inhibit the variable expansion at CMake time, but the output
of the expansion has had a level of indirection removed, in the usual
shell-script way. Then I expect add_test will look like your hand-edited
version.

       set(EXE_CMD ${RUNJOB} ${RUNJOB_NPF} ${REQUIRED_OPTION}
> ${MPIEXEC_PREFLAGS} : ${_testExe} ${_testArgs})​

FindMPI.cmake has a set of somewhat standard variable names that might make
sense for you to follow, even though that module probably won't be useful
for finding runjob, because it might do so at some future time.

Mark