[CMake] CMake "permission denied" problem (Windows 7 64-bit, CMake 2.8.1)

Phil Smith phil at voltage.com
Fri Mar 6 10:51:29 EST 2015

OK, so I know the first thing people will ask is "Why are you using CMake 2.8.1?" and the answer to that is that later versions hang silently for us. The consensus is that the hangs seem to be related to out-of-source builds, which we're currently doing because of a series of dependencies that we have not been able to work around (yet?).

We're cross-compiling for z/OS on Windows using the Dignus cross-compiler. So that may make us unique right there.

Anyway, we've had this all working for years. Recently we had a problem with compiles suddenly taking a long time. After much mucking about, I wound up installing gawk and using it to prefix verbose messages (sure would be nice if CMake prefixed messages with a timestamp-it's hardly going to hurt, and is often useful). That led me to understand the problem I was having, which was that some old stuff in our build scaffolding was putting -I\\ in the command line to our compiler, which was then trying to do a network access, which was timing out. For each module. So I fixed that, and the rest of the team is happily compiling.

But at some point in the process-alas, I'm not sure when, because in my testing I was mostly just doing builds without rerunning CMake-I stopped being able to run CMake. It fails on the assemble step (Dignus is a two-step compiler, which is the reason for part of our scaffolding) when it tries to assemble the output of the C compiler, with "Permission denied" on the assembler source:
C:\SVN\zFPE6\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\testCCompiler.zASM(1) : Assembly aborted,
Fatal Error-DASM413C Unable to open INPUT file: testCCompiler.zASM :
Permission denied

Here's what I really don't get: that assembler source is there, i.e., has a non-zero length. I've trapped the process immediately after the assembler complains, and saved that directory tree by renaming it (CMake tends to delete the CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp contents), and nothing I do will read the file. I can chmod and chown it to my heart's content; I can reboot-still unreadable.

I ran sysinternals and could see it being denied, but didn't see anything else around that event that seemed to relate.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Cygwin and CMake.

The only changes I can think of that I made along the way were the gawk installation (which I backed off early in the debugging process, and have not reinstalled) and WinMerge, which I've also uninstalled.

I've spent a lot of time Googling, and while I feel a kinship with the many folks who have had somewhat similar-sounding "Permission denied" problems, none seem to be at the same level.

I'm out of ideas here, hoping someone else has some! TIA.
--
...phsiii