[CMake] [cmake-developers] CMake IR

Geoffrey Viola Geoffrey.Viola at asirobots.com
Thu Jul 30 11:27:07 EDT 2015

I think this topic addresses improving the greatest CMake's greatest weakness.

> It would modularize the internals of CMake in a cleaner fashion
Good point. Having built part of a generator, I would appreciate cleaner generator interfaces. That way it's clear what implementations are necessary to support which CMake features.

> The big selling point would be the ability to introduce arbitrary front-ends to CMake, not just CMakelists.txt. Every developer could choose an input language that suits their project/needs/skills.
When trying to get a team to adopt CMake, learning this new language is a barrier for entry. Doing a trade study on build tools made SCons looks pretty good because it is in python, but ultimately we decided on CMake because I used it before.

Geoffrey Viola
SOFTWARE ENGINEER
asirobots.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the recipient. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.