[CMake] cpack and boost dependencies when building a debian installer

pellegrini pellegrini at ill.fr
Fri Feb 13 11:32:13 EST 2015

Hello everybody,

I would like to use cpack (2.8.7) in order to build a debian installer
for a c++ library that has a few dependencies namely:

     - boost (headers + libraries)
     - fftw3-3
     - eigen3
     - hdf5
     - tiff

I would like to set my cpack file in such a way that the minimum version
required for boost is the 1.54. So I introduced in my cmake/cpack
file the following command according to my understanding of CPACK
documentation.

     set(BOOST_MIN_VERSION 1.54)
     string(REPLACE "," ", " CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_DEPENDS
     "libboost-all-dev (>= ${BOOST_MIN_VERSION}),"
     "libeigen3-dev,"
     "libfftw3-3,"
     "libtiff4-dev,"
     "libhdf5-serial-dev,")

Once my debian file is created, I get the following error when launching
it with gdebi (but also with dpkg):

##########################
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Building data structures... Done
Building data structures... Done
This package is uninstallable
Dependency is not satisfiable: libboost-all-dev (>= 1.54)

However, boost is actually installed on my machine (version 1.55.0). Did
I misunderstand something in the way to declare that
we need a minimum version for a given library ?

thanks for your help

Eric