[CMake] 3.4.1 installer overwrites Windows PATH system var

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Dec 3 11:36:11 EST 2015

On 12/03/2015 11:04 AM, Vasily Vladimirovich Vylkov wrote:
> Installing CMake on Windows (7, 64-bit) with the "add cmake to system
> PATH for all users" option overwrote the contents of my PATH variable,
> instead of appending to it.  This is horrible!  I don't know of any
> way to recover my previous PATH value.
>
> It also looks like this has been an issue in several previous versions:
>   * https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10257
>   * https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=12875
>
> Shouldn't there be a regression / sanity test case for this prior to
> publishing a new version of the installer?

For every new release binary we run the installer by hand to verify
that the interaction works.  This doesn't happen to us.

The installer is produced with NSIS.  I wonder if this is a case of:

 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21897103/nsis-envvarupdate-overwrites-system-path-when-path-is-too-long-is-there-a-wor

How long was your PATH before?

-Brad