[CMake] [cmake-developers] Obtaining header file dependencies of a source file manually

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Dec 1 14:56:52 EST 2015

On 12/01/2015 02:41 PM, Dan Liew wrote:
>> Perhaps, but after regenerating the project the build tool will not
>> re-load the build files and start building again.  That will take
>> an additional invocation.  The number of iterations required is
>> bounded only by the depth of dependency chains.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. What do you mean by "build tool" here?
> I also don't see why you would need to reconfigure multiple times.

If a .vcxproj file is re-generated while "msbuild" is running then the
new one may not be loaded and used until the next "msbuild".  Perhaps
that is okay for this use-case, but dynamic dependency injection is
not possible if the dependencies are needed the first time around
(which was the case last time I thought about this).

Perhaps IMPLICIT_DEPENDS could be implemented by outputting the
dependency information as a side effect of running the custom command.
Then as part of deciding whether CMake needs to re-run on the next
build it can look to see if that dependency information was updated.

-Brad